KFC Original Fried Chicken Recipe
Servings: 4 servings
Prep time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Calories: 710 kcal
- 1 chicken, portioned
- 2/3 tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon thyme leaves, dried
- ½ tablespoon basil leaves, dried
- 1/3 tablespoon oregano leaves, dried
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, ground
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard powder
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon ginger, ground
- 3 tablespoons white pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoons Accent Seasoning, optional
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, large
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- The first step is to portion your chicken. The goal is to get 2 wings, 2 thighs, 2 legs and 2 breasts. Each breast should be sliced in two to create 4 breast pieces in total. If you do not know how to portion a chicken, you can either watch tutorials online or buy pre-portioned chicken packs.
- Combine all the spices in a food processor and blend until they are evenly incorporated and a fine powder. Add the blended spices in a large bowl.
- Add your flour to the spice mix and whisk until fully incorporated – this is now called “seasoned flour”.
- In a second large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and the egg until the egg has been fully broken up.
- Place the chicken pieces in the buttermilk mixture, wrap with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- Place a cooling rack over a large baking sheet. Place the soaked chicken pieces on the cooling rack and allow the excess buttermilk to drip off.
- Place each piece in the seasoned flour and shake it off to make sure the piece is fully and evenly covered. Place the pieces on a clean baking sheet and allow them to rest for another 20-30 minutes at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, heat your oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit in a large pot. Do not fill the pot with oil to the rim; leave about 5-6 inches to allow the oil to splatter without overflowing.
- Once your chicken has rested and the oil has heated, fry the chicken pieces in batches or 3-4 for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove the crispy chicken from the oil to drain on a drying rack over a baking sheet, just like before.
- Serve warm with a side of fries, coleslaw or your favorite KFC side dish.
- Before placing the chicken pieces in the buttermilk, make sure you pat each piece dry with paper or kitchen towel. This will remove any excess moisture from diluting the flavor.
- When you are finished frying your chicken and you drain it on a paper towel, it will steam where the chicken sits on the paper towel and become soggy.