Total: 30 mins
Yield: Serves 4
- 8 slices (about 11 oz.) rustic sourdough or Italian country bread
- 2 large garlic cloves, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 slices (6 oz.) mozzarella cheese
- 2 ripe heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup thinly sliced roasted red peppers
- 16 large basil leaves
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- About 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Step 1: Rub a side of each slice of bread with a cut side of garlic and brush with oil. Layer the plain side of half the bread with cheese, tomatoes, and peppers, dividing evenly. Top with remaining bread, garlic side up.
- Step 2: Cook 2 sandwiches at a time in a large frying pan over medium-low heat, covered, turning sandwiches once, until golden brown and cheese is melted, 6 minutes.
- Step 3: Tuck 4 slices basil into each sandwich. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.