Yield: 2 sandwiches
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 6 (1/4-inch-thick) slices all-green tomatoes (about 1 medium tomato)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 slices bacon, cooked, drained, and halved
- 4 (1-ounce) slices Texas toast, toasted
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 iceberg or Romaine lettuce leaves
- Step 1: Whisk together egg and buttermilk in a medium bowl. Combine cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Dip tomato slices in egg mixture, then coat with seasoned cornmeal.
- Step 2: Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Place tomato slices in pan in a single layer, and cook until golden brown on bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip and brown other side, about 3 minutes more. Interior should be cooked through but not mushy.
- Step 3: Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise over each of 2 bread slices. Top each slice with 2 lettuce leaves, 3 tomato slices, and 2 bacon slices. Top with remaining 2 bread slices. Serve immediately.