A completo is a very popular Chilean signature on the concept of a “loaded” hot dog. Served by street vendors and other casual restaurants, this dish consists of your basic hot dog on a bun topped with sauerkraut, diced tomatoes, mashed avocado, and a generous drizzle of mayonnaise. Use your favorite brand of hot dogs (and hot dog cooking method) and hearty buns to make this easy and festive completo. These loaded dogs make for a hearty entrée we’d recommend serving with plenty of napkins.
Active: 15 mins
Total: 15 mins
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 hot dog)
- 4 hot dogs
- 1 large ripe avocado, halved and pitted
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (such as Cholula)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 clove), mashed to a paste
- ½ teaspoon fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 hot dog buns
- ½ cup prepared sauerkraut
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Step 1: Cook hot dogs according to package directions.
- Step 2: Mash avocado until mostly smooth. Stir in hot sauce, garlic, lime juice, and salt. Place hot dogs in buns and top each with 3 tablespoons avocado mixture, 2 tablespoons sauerkraut, and 1 tablespoon mayonnaise. Serve immediately with lime wedges.